Monday, February 21, 2011

"Loud" quilt top

One of the gifts I received for my birthday was a gift card to the local quilt shop. My plan is to take long-arm quilting lessons. I hope to eventually be able to rent the machine to do the quilting myself. When I asked about details of the class, I was told that I'll be quilting on one of their charity quilts at first, then once I can do that I should bring my own quilt tops to keep practicing on. It's best not to start with ones I just love and they should be about crib-size. So I dug through my stash give away pile and found some fat quarters that I only paid 50 cents for and a couple coordinating larger pieces. I then searched the internet and found a very simple pattern. Here's what I came up with.

IMG_6656

IMG_6666

I have to say I love it! But I'll still use it for practicing my quilting. The colors are very bold, but go together so well!

I started on a postage stamp quilt on Friday. It's slow going, sewing jelly roll strips together. I'm following the quilt-along over at p.s. I Quilt. The quilt-along itself ended a few weeks ago, so I'm using it more as a tutorial.

I sold two more coats this morning leaving only three (besides Christmas ones) in the shop, so I cut out four more today.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Three things....

1. I love the new quilt top.

2. Thanks for reminding me of p.s. i quilt. Some day I'm going to make her pinwheel quilt.

3. I'm jealous of all you sewing time. I realize our life seasons are different and I can look forward to more time in a few year. But, right now, I'm a bit jealous. In a good way, not a covetous way, if you know what I mean.

Oh, wait, one more thing. Good for you on getting those long arm lessons. In my "spare dream time" I do think about long arm quilting - I just know that it won't happen for me in the next decade - at least - so I try not to dream about it too much....