Thursday, September 2, 2010

Turkey Taco Salad

IMG_3564

This recipe is from Martha Stewart's website.

My version:

1 tbs coconut oil
1 small onion, diced
1 pound ground turkey
1 small zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, ribs & seeds removed, diced
1 1/2 cups prepared green salsa (Trader Joes brand)
Salt and ground pepper
Lettuce from garden
Tortilla chips
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 cup shredded smoked raw cheddar cheese

1. Heat oil in skillet over med-high heat. Add ground turkey, cook stirring occasionally until done, add onion. Cook, stirring often until onion is translucent.

2. Add zucchini, bell pepper, and 1 cup salsa; cook until veggies are crisp tender, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and ground pepper. Transfer to serving bowl.

3. In a bowl toss lettuce and tomatoes with remaining salsa.

4. On individual plates, place tortilla chips, top with lettuce and tomato mixture, then add turkey mixture and grated cheese.

The original recipe calls for 4 tbs olive oil, which I rarely use for cooking because it's not best to heat olive oil. I should have used more than one tbs coconut oil, because it wasn't enough. I didn't really do only one tbs on purpose, I just guessed. Next time I'll use more.

(When I eat it, I leave out the chips and cheese.) My family did like it, although the lettuce was bitter, which made dh have a slight scowled face. ;-) He also said he thinks it might be better with ground beef. As usual, I liked it the way it was, except the bitter lettuce, which would be remedied by using a different lettuce. Amy added sour cream to hers.

No comments: