Friday, July 9, 2010

Independence Day dress

IMG_2483

I'm breaking a photography rule about backgrounds (no clutter) because I didn't want to wait for Amy to crop it for me. I simply must learn this skill.

IMG_2484

I was inspired by this photo by angelasews. So I went shopping. Even as odd as it seems, I don't usually go shopping with one specific doll outfit in mind. But this time I did. I wandered around Joann's for quite a while before I spotted the white and blue. Wandered some more before I found the red fat quarter (not on sale!). You know, none of it, including the rick-rack was on sale! :( But I did have 40% off coupon and my 15% off teacher's discount card. And thinking about it now, the rick-rack I bought was baby sized and at the moment I picked it out I had an idea for what I was going to do with it, but when I got started on the project I couldn't remember what I was going to use it for. I still don't. Crazy!

IMG_2486

Then I searched for RED 1/4" double-fold bias tape, but only found scarlet which didn't match perfectly. I like things to match. So Amy suggested that I make my own bias tape and I said, "That's a great idea!"

IMG_2485

Both the sleeves and the neckline are made from the red fat quarter as is the sash and bow. I really utilized that fat quarter.

IMG_2489

I also need to give Amy credit for tying the bow. That's usually my job, but after barely trying I was frustrated by it and told her to fix it for me.

IMG_2487

I'm thrilled with how it turned out! :)

2 comments:

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

AWESOME! I LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!

Mom said...

You may never need to buy bias tape again!