Mrs. Botkin's topic was Teaching Our Children to Teach Themselves. Here are a few points.
1. In order to instill the love of learning:
a. Love it ourselves.
b. Understand who God is and loving Him.
c. See everything in relation to who God is.
d. There is no separation between secular study and the sacred. God is sovereign over everything.
2. Science is the study of God's creation.
3. History is the study of God's work in the affairs of men.
4. Equip children to be ambassadors for God. Learning how to communicate is vital.
5. We need a vision for the future. Our time is God's time.
6. A college degree is not the goal. Self teaching is encouraged after parents have done their job.
a. We should not see discipline as a last resort, disobedience needs to be taken care of every time. It requires self-discipline.
b. Give commands you intend to enforce.
8. Schooling: Deuteronomy 6:4-9
a. When you sit in your home
b. When you go out
c. As you do life together
9. Read to your children
10. Stock your home with good resources. e.g. books, art supplies.